Chocolate Pecan Caramels
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6-3/4 dozen (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil; butter the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely before cutting.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 190 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 18, 2019
I haven't made these yet, but in response to cowpatty, I have made caramel many times over the years with confidence but had a fail this year. Be sure to check the boiling point on your candy thermometer before you start and then watch it meticulously for the exact temp. Not doing one of those may be a loss of expensive ingredients.
Dec 14, 2012
Cooked according to recipe, caramel was too soft when I went to cut it, so recooked and then was too hard to cut easily
Aug 28, 2012
I've made these several times! They are so wonderful! They taste just like pecan caramel turtles! These are a big hit with everyone that I have served these too!
Dec 27, 2011
These are wonderful! I gave them to the staff at my kids school and got many praises!
Apr 22, 2010
This taste just like pecan caramel turtles!!! Which is my favorite candy. I make these every Christmas and they are a total hit! They're easy to make and turn out fantastic every time.
Dec 12, 2009
I make this every year for Christmas and always get compliments on it. The chocolate chips and nuts are so awesome with the carmel!!!!!!