Pumpkin Seed Toffee
My kids are allergic to nuts, but they can eat pumpkin seeds! Every fall we save the seeds from our pumpkins to add to various recipes, including this one. —Suzanne Earl, Spring, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the sugar, water, corn syrup, pie spice and salt. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in pumpkin seeds. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour. Break or cut into bite-sized pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.