- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 10 cups water
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- SOUP INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked fine egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until juices run clear, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf. Return broth to the pan; add the carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add noodles and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in peas and beans. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until beans and noodles are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forClassic Chicken Noodle Soup
"I started using a rotisserie chicken for my broth and it gives it so much more flavor!!!"
"It turned out Great! Saving this recipe. The Wife loved it."
"Love this! We have made this recipe for years. Does any one know how many cups are in it or what a serving size is? That would be great to know."
"I thought it was rather bland. It seems like there should be more seasonings added after the broth is strained. I added some cajun seasoning & more salt & pepper to give it more flavor."
"This soup was great. I agree with the previous comment and will add more salt (and pepper) the next time."
"I would add a little more salt to the stock next time."