Chorizo Spaghetti Squash Skillet
Get your noodle fix minus the pasta with this spiced-up meal that comes together in one skillet. It's a fill-you-up dinner that's low in calories—a weeknight winner! —Sherrill Oake, Springfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chorizo chicken sausage links or flavor of choice, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Halve squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down; microwave on high until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute sausage, yellow pepper, onion and mushrooms until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Separate strands of squash with a fork; add to skillet. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. If desired, top with green onions.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 299 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Spaghetti Squash and Sausage in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.