Chorizo Spaghetti Squash Skillet
Get your noodle fix minus the pasta with this spicy one-dish meal. It's a fill-you-up dinner that's low in calories—a weeknight winner! —Sherrill Oake, Springfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chorizo chicken sausage links or flavor of choice, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Halve squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, cut side down; microwave on high until tender, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute sausage, yellow pepper, onion and mushrooms until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Separate strands of squash with a fork; add to skillet. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. If desired, top with green onions.
Test Kitchen tips