Chocolate Orange Rounds
I send these to family and friends in other areas of the country. The citrusy, two-tone treats bring a taste of the Sunshine State. — Geordyth Sullivan, Cutler Bay, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Add orange zest to one half; add melted chocolate to the other half.
- Shape each portion into two 10x1-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut each roll down the center lengthwise. Reassemble rolls, alternating chocolate and orange halves. Wrap and chill until firm enough to slice, if necessary.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 5-6 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 54 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Taste of Florida Orange-Chocolate Rounds in Country Woman Christmas 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.