Chocolate Orange Checkerboard Cookies
I use these for gifts during the holidays because I like the elegant flavor combination of chocolate and orange. The shortbread texture melts in your mouth, and the walnuts add a nice crunch.—Sandy Paige, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in pecans.
- Divide dough in half. Mix baking cocoa into one half; mix orange zest and extract into remaining half.
- Shape each portion into a 5-1/2x2x2-in. block. Wrap each block in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Unwrap dough; cut each block lengthwise into quarters, making four 5-1/2x1x1-in. sticks. Switch two of the chocolate sticks with two of the orange sticks, forming two checkerboard blocks. Gently press sticks together to adhere. Rewrap in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.