Chocolate Lebkuchen Cherry Balls
Here's my twist on the traditional German holiday lebkuchen—with a surprise inside. Maraschino cherries add a sweet and unexpected punch to the holiday spice of gingersnaps. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 40 gingersnap cookies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 60 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- Place gingersnaps, cream cheese, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, orange zest and extract in a food processor; process until combined. Refrigerate until firm enough to form into balls. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture; shape into a ball. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Chop remaining sliced almonds; set aside. In a double boiler, melt remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip cherry balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle balls with almonds. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 ball: 76 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Lebkuchen Surprise Balls in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.