Chocolate Lebkuchen Cherry Balls
Here's my twist on the traditional German holiday lebkuchen—with a surprise inside. Maraschino cherries add a sweet and unexpected punch to the holiday spice of gingersnaps. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 40 gingersnap cookies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sliced almonds, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 60 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- Place gingersnaps, cream cheese, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, orange zest and extract in a food processor; process until combined. Refrigerate until firm enough to form into balls. Pat cherries dry with paper towels. Wrap each cherry with a rounded tablespoonful of cream cheese mixture; shape into a ball. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Chop remaining sliced almonds; set aside. In a double boiler, melt remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip cherry balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle balls with almonds. Place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 ball: 76 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Lebkuchen Surprise Balls in Taste of Home December 2018