Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cereal. Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal; toss to coat. Roll into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; refrigerate until set.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 25, 2015
I find these so easy to make and my grandchildren really look forward to them. I love making them almost any time. YUMMY!
Dec 22, 2011
Made these earlier in the week and they turned out great! My husband left the chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave too long, but a bit of milk and more warming fixed it right up. Will definitely make more!
Dec 22, 2010
This recipe was awful! Too crumbly. I couldn't hardly make the balls. I'll find a different peanut butter recipe. Granted I love peanut butter balls, but I wouldn't make this kind again. Sorry.
Dec 13, 2010
They're very simple to make and taste so good. Great for giving as homemade Christmas Gifts.
Jul 7, 2009
This recipe took FOREVER to make!!! Everone but me loved them. I think I was just sick of looking at and smelling these. I probably would have liked them if someone else made them:)
Apr 12, 2008
Thanks for posting such a GREAT Recipe. Made these yesterday and the whole family LOOOVED them. They really are great!!