Hot Chocolate Cake Balls
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds white candy coating, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, coffee, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add marshmallow creme; beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle. Shape into 1/2-in. balls; arrange on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until combined. Beat in milk and vanilla until smooth. Crumble cake into bowl; mix well.
- Shape 1 tablespoon cake mixture around a marshmallow ball. Return to baking sheets. Repeat with remaining cake mixture and marshmallow balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip cake balls in coating; allow excess to drip off. Return to baking sheets; let stand until set. Dust tops with cocoa. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 cake ball: 194 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 13, 2016
These are amazing! Made them as part of my "Christmas Cookie Craziness" and they were a hit with everyone - husband, son, & so-workers. They take a little time with multiple steps but are not overly difficult.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.