Austrian Chocolate Balls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, egg, yolk, extract and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in nuts. Shape into 3/4-in. balls and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Add the extract, sugar and milk and mix well.
- Dip tops of cookies into glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 96 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 21, 2014
These were fantastic. Easy to make and they went over very well at a formal party. This is a keeper.
Dec 22, 2013
Sorry, but this is a cookie not a candy. I have been making them for years. The chocolate glaze is wonderful, but I do substitute half & half for the milk, gives it a better gloss to the chocolate glaze. And they are a very easy cookie to make, just be careful not to overbake.