German Chocolate Ring
This recipe is modeled after German sweet chocolate cake, which is my favorite, so it's no wonder I enjoy making and eating this sweet-tasting bread! It can be made ahead, too, and stored in the freezer for convenience. —Anne Frederick, New Hartford, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, divided use
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- In small bowl, combine 1 cup coconut, 3/4 cup chocolate chips, pecans and 1 egg; set aside. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In small saucepan, heat milk and 4 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture, beating until smooth. Add remaining eggs and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough into 18x10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter and brush over dough; spread with reserved chocolate mixture.
- Roll up dough jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Pinch ends together to form a ring.
- With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips; let stand for 5 minutes. Spread melted chips; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as German Chocolate Ring in Country Extra November 1990
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.