Easy German Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sprinkle the coconut and pecans into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls over the batter. Carefully spread to within 1 in. of edges.
- Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate.
Jan 17, 2015
I made this cake the other day for a German Shepherds 1 year bday party. No, the dogs didn't eat it. ;). It wasn't pretty but tasted ok. I thought that the butter/cream cheese mixture would somehow move to the bottom of the pan while baking. You know, to be with the pecans & coconut? Instead, as the cake baked and rounded across the top, the butter mixture dripped off and over the edge into the bottom of my oven. Not Good!When I realized that was happening I used a spatula to gouge long holes in the top of the cake so that the butter mixture would "sink in". The cake probably would have been even better if all of that mixture has blended in and down with the cake. What did I do wrong?
Aug 22, 2014
Used to make this w/ the residents at the nursing home. Only difference in the recipes was mine used 1 cup of coconut and only 2 cups powdered sugar. It was incredible!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.