German Chocolate Dump Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups chopped toasted pecans, divided
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle coconut and 1 cup pecans into baking pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth; beat in confectioners' sugar. Stir in chocolate chips and remaining pecans. Spoon over batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 479 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 6, 2020
This cake was soooo good. It’s kind of addicting! It’s not too sweet and very moist. It was a huge hit in my household. I’m usually not a German chocolate cake fan but THIS was very good. Will make again and again. I did have to cook a bit longer bc I felt the middle needed to be cooked longer but other than that, I followed the recipe as written.
Oct 17, 2019
I also have this recipe in my most frequently used cake recipes. I know it as earthquake cake as well. It uses box of German Chocolate cake mix instead of devils food. Swirling the cream cheese batter with knife might help resolve the jiggle. I cut back oven temp by about 10° once it starts browning in order to get the cream cheese batter more set before I get it out of oven
Oct 15, 2019
I k now this cake as Earthquake cake. Love it!!
Oct 9, 2019
I made this for our annual Oktoberfest party. I did bake it longer because of the middle jiggle, about 15 min. more all in all. A very moist cake. Easy to make, it's a keeper! Delicious cake.
Oct 5, 2019
Amazing!!! Made this for a family reunion. It was so moist and rich. fyi, the batter in the middle will have some jiggle but should firm up once removed from the oven and cooled.
Jun 29, 2019
This cake is easy to make and is delicious!
Jul 15, 2017
I made this cake and it came out beautifully! The only change in preparing the batter was that I'd used buttermilk in place of the water called for on the package of cake mix. Everything else was what the recipe called for! delowenstein, TOH Volunteer Field Editor