Having lived in Germany, I try to keep my German cooking as authentic as possible. This lovely lebkuchen recipe is a culinary Christmas custom. —Cathy Lemmon, Quinlan, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + cooling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cardamom and allspice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied orange peel
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine water and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/16-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° until set, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For topping, in a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and oil. Combine the oats, flour, nuts, cocoa, baking powder and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in candied peels.
- Drop a rounded tablespoonful of topping onto each cookie; gently press down. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° until set, 13-16 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Dip each cookie halfway in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 238 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.