Chocolate Cherry Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add egg and almond extract until blended. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Carefully top with pie filling. Combine chocolate chips, almonds and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool; refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2017
I took these to work and received rave reviews. the bake up really nice.
Feb 4, 2010
These were delicious! I did cut the chocolate chips down to 1 1/2 c. (just because 2 c. looked like a little too much) and I thought it was the perfect amount. I didn't have any problems with the baking time...took 40 minutes.
Mar 10, 2009
My husband wanted some chocolate/cherry brownies and I have had my eye on this recipe for a while. They took an hour and five minutes to bake, but once they cooled, they were wonderful. Not quite sure why they took so long to bake--I use my oven daily, so I don't think the oven temperature was the problem.