Chocolate Cherry Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add egg and almond extract until blended. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Carefully top with pie filling. Combine chocolate chips, almonds and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over pie filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool; refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 23, 2017
I took these to work and received rave reviews. the bake up really nice.
Feb 4, 2010
These were delicious! I did cut the chocolate chips down to 1 1/2 c. (just because 2 c. looked like a little too much) and I thought it was the perfect amount. I didn't have any problems with the baking time...took 40 minutes.
Mar 10, 2009
My husband wanted some chocolate/cherry brownies and I have had my eye on this recipe for a while. They took an hour and five minutes to bake, but once they cooled, they were wonderful. Not quite sure why they took so long to bake--I use my oven daily, so I don't think the oven temperature was the problem.