Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over filling. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extracts and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 112 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 30, 2018
I made this for the first time, yesterday, July 29, 2018. I DID NOT make the glaze, as others recommended. This is delicious! I will definitely make this again and again. :)
Jun 18, 2018
This was a great recipe! Everyone loved them and pretty easy to make. Loved it!
Jun 2, 2018
edemars-2.5 x 16 x 2.5 = 15" 10 x 1 = 10"
Jun 1, 2018
Ok recepe but too much sugar and cholesterol and fat
May 31, 2018
I made these for work to celebrate birthdays and work anniversaries. They were a big hit!!
Apr 6, 2018
I am sorry, am I reading this correct!? The recipes makes 5 dozen?? This doesn’t sound right for a 15x10 pan?
Feb 28, 2018
I first made Cherry Bars when they were published in Taste of Home in 2001, but after 5 moves, misplaced the recipe. So glad to find it here! This is quick, easy, absolutely delicious, keeps well and travels well. As some other have noted, the glaze is quite sweet and about half what the recipe calls for is enough for me. A real keeper!
Dec 6, 2017
I have made these for 40 years but my recipe doesnt have a glaze and is plenty sweet. They are great for picnics.
Nov 7, 2017
I brought this dessert to a family gathering and I rec'd compliments on it from everyone!!
Nov 6, 2017
These are really good. I would have given 5 stars but mine really didn't set up to make it easy to cut into bars, we had to eat them with a fork.gina.kapfhamer Moststandard cookie sheets are 10/15. I can't imagine being able to cut these to make 60 servings .I will try these again maybe using peaches.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.