Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 156 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 21, 2013
a real keeper
May 1, 2012
I have done this with blueberry pie filling and white chocolate drizzles, and am about to do Apple....
Mar 1, 2012
I read through this recipe quickly and had an idea in my mind that the filling was chocolate mixed with cherries. When I came to make the bars, and read the recipe carefully, I was disappointed to find the chocolate was only drizzled on top. So I set about making them the way I had imagined them. I substituted Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats for the quick oats by weight. I added 1/2 t. salt to the crust. I might increase that a little next time. In the filling I added 1 T. cherry concentrate, deleted the almond extract and added 6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate chips that I had pulverized in the food processor. I sprinkled chopped walnuts on top of the bars and I omitted the drizzle. They were excellent. I found it was best to store them in the refrigerator, but let them warm up to room temperature before eating them.
Dec 8, 2011
These are good, but I like the chocolate cherry bars better