Chocolate-Drizzled Cherry Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and extract; carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges and topping are lightly browned.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 156 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 21, 2013
a real keeper
May 1, 2012
I have done this with blueberry pie filling and white chocolate drizzles, and am about to do Apple....
Mar 1, 2012
I read through this recipe quickly and had an idea in my mind that the filling was chocolate mixed with cherries. When I came to make the bars, and read the recipe carefully, I was disappointed to find the chocolate was only drizzled on top. So I set about making them the way I had imagined them. I substituted Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats for the quick oats by weight. I added 1/2 t. salt to the crust. I might increase that a little next time. In the filling I added 1 T. cherry concentrate, deleted the almond extract and added 6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate chips that I had pulverized in the food processor. I sprinkled chopped walnuts on top of the bars and I omitted the drizzle. They were excellent. I found it was best to store them in the refrigerator, but let them warm up to room temperature before eating them.
Dec 8, 2011
These are good, but I like the chocolate cherry bars better
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.