Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes8 pancakes (1/4 cup sauce)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place flour in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon of green onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roll up jelly-roll style; holding one end of rope, wrap dough around, forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cook pancakes, one at a time, over medium-high heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with pancakes.
Nutrition Facts1 pancake with 1-1/2 teaspoons sauce: 333 calories, 17g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2018
This was delicious!
Aug 16, 2017
Just to clarify, can you cook the pancakes and then chill in fridge. Reheat in oven for how long? Are they covered in oven?
May 20, 2017
I love these. These also go great with certain Chinese foods that have a lot of sauce like Mapo Tofu.
Apr 23, 2017
This is perfection! Simple recipe, few ingredients, and easy to make. The sauce is to die for perfect as well - just make it ahead of time to allow the flavors to meld.
Mar 5, 2017
Tasty! Very good Dipping Sauce, easy to make.
Feb 6, 2017
Surprisingly good with so few ingredients. Good alternative to egg rolls as a side for stir-fry. The sauce is a must, a little goes a long way.
Oct 9, 2015
Great recipe. Just like the scallion pancakes we get from our favorite Chinese recipe in Manhattan. I need to roll them out a little thinner as they puff up a little when they hit the pan. That was my error. The pancakes are perfect. Thank you.