Country Potato Pancakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 24 pancakes
- 3 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Finely grate potatoes. Drain any liquid. Add eggs, onion, flour, salt and baking powder. In a frying pan, add oil to the depth of 1/8 in.; heat over medium-high (375°).
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls in hot oil. Flatten into patties. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 257 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 13, 2018
Hexesharon... If I had to guess, I'd say the green was chopped parsley. Personally, I would add chopped chives, and serve with applesauce. That's how us Polacks eat them!
Apr 26, 2018
why do they have green specks ?
Dec 10, 2017
I am very glad to see this recipe for Potato Latkes This is a traditional dish served for the Chanukah celebration.Which as most of you know is a Jewish Holiday celebration for the Festival of Lights.
Dec 30, 2014
A good recipe, but here are a couple of hints. I squeeze the shredded potato to get as much starchy water off as possible. Do not use a food processor - it won't get enough of the starch out. When you remove the liquid, note the amount and replace that amount with milk.Separate the eggs and beat the white separately until fluffy. It will make lighter pancakes.I fry in hot Crisco, not in oil. Should be pretty hot so they fry quickly and don't absorb a lot of fat.
Jul 25, 2012
Very tasty, easy to put together.
Jan 19, 2010
VERY Good! I added garlic salt & pepper.Great topped with sour cream!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.