Chinese Scallion Pancake Beef Rolls
This is a favorite in our household, and it's perfect for using up leftover roast beef. The green onion cake dough is easy to make and cooks quickly. Then just reheat the sliced beef in a frying pan with a sweet and savory sauce. —Carla Mendres, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Cook: 40
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated beef roast au jus, drained and chopped or 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl; stir in boiling water until dough forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 4-6 minutes. Place in a large bowl; cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 portions; roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon green onion. Roll up jelly-roll style; holding 1 end of the rope, wrap dough around, forming a coil, pinching to seal. Flatten slightly. Roll each coil to 1/8-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cook pancakes, 1 at a time, over medium-high heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side, adding additional oil as needed; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger; cook and stir until tender, 5-6 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients; cook until heated through, 3-4 minutes longer. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture down center of each pancake. If desired, sprinkle with sliced green onions. Roll up tightly and serve.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 390 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Chinese Beef Rolls in Taste of Home April/May 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.