Cherry Pecan Torte
Field editor Dolores Lueken of Ferdinand, Indiana says, "Soda crackers are the 'secret ingredient' in this meringue.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups saltine crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in crumbs, pecans and vanilla.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool completely. Spread whipped cream over top. Spoon pie filling over cream. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 341 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Pecan Torte in Taste of Home December/January 1997