Special Raspberry Torte
With raspberry preserves, a burst of lemon and a homemade buttercream frosting, this berry-topped cake always gets rave reviews. It’s my mom’s absolute favorite. —Lori Lee Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 jar (10 ounces) seedless raspberry preserves
- Fresh raspberries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are golden
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until combined. Beat in confectioner's sugar alternately with extract and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the preserves. Top with another cake layer and 3/4 cup frosting. Place third cake layer over frosting; spread with remaining preserves. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with 1 cup frosting, forming a crumb coating. Refrigerate cake until frosting is set, about 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and cover with remaining frosting. Top with raspberries.