Special Raspberry Torte
With raspberry preserves, a burst of lemon and a homemade buttercream frosting, this berry-topped cake always gets rave reviews. It’s my mom’s absolute favorite. —Lori Lee Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 jar (10 ounces) seedless raspberry preserves
- Fresh raspberries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges are golden
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until combined. Beat in confectioner's sugar alternately with extract and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the preserves. Top with another cake layer and 3/4 cup frosting. Place third cake layer over frosting; spread with remaining preserves. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with 1 cup frosting, forming a crumb coating. Refrigerate cake until frosting is set, about 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and cover with remaining frosting. Top with raspberries.
Originally published as Special Raspberry Birthday Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.