Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, eggs, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon pie spice; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and the remaining pumpkin and pie spice until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 476 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 27, 2019
This recipe is the most requested one I get during this holiday. It is amazing! Don’t pass this one up, and yes I agree it makes awesome cupcakes and even tiny trifles. I like to use in small mason jars for that. Enjoy!!!
Nov 26, 2019
I absolutely love this love this recipe, I have made it time and time again. It also can be used to make fancy cupcakes.
Nov 18, 2019
Great recipe, great flavor! When I told my husband what I was making he tried telling me the only way to eat pumpkin was in pumpkin pie. Needless to say he loved the cake. I will definitely be making this again!
Nov 12, 2019
The recipe directions do tell you how to divide the pumpkin and spice, just keep reading.
Nov 7, 2019
haven't made this yet as, it requires you to divide 2 things, the canned pumpkin and the spice, but doesn't say in what ratio? divide in half? remove 1/3? What? not real important for the filling, but for the cake, VERY IMPORTANT, as you could end up with a pretty stodgy cake if you add too much pumpkin to the boxed cake mix. any tips here?
Sep 27, 2019
I have made this cake many times. I made this last time as cupcakes and filled the middle with a generous dollop of filling on top. As always the reviews were out of this world. Everyone wanted the recipe. Thanks as always for top rate recipe
Oct 31, 2018
This is a great recipe. Very light and not too sweet with a great pumpkin flavor. I did use more pumpkin spice than what the instructions states, a little less confectioners sugar, and used no nuts. I had lots of coworkers asking where the recipe came from.
Nov 19, 2017
This is a wonderful recipe!! My son asks for it every Thanksgiving.
Oct 11, 2017
this is amazing!
Jun 21, 2017
I made two of these and gave one to a family member....It was a hit! AND it's so pretty!