Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, eggs, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon pie spice; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and the remaining pumpkin and pie spice until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 476 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 27, 2019
I have made this cake many times. I made this last time as cupcakes and filled the middle with a generous dollop of filling on top. As always the reviews were out of this world. Everyone wanted the recipe. Thanks as always for top rate recipe
Oct 31, 2018
This is a great recipe. Very light and not too sweet with a great pumpkin flavor. I did use more pumpkin spice than what the instructions states, a little less confectioners sugar, and used no nuts. I had lots of coworkers asking where the recipe came from.
Nov 19, 2017
This is a wonderful recipe!! My son asks for it every Thanksgiving.
Oct 11, 2017
this is amazing!
Jun 21, 2017
I made two of these and gave one to a family member....It was a hit! AND it's so pretty!
Nov 15, 2016
I made this for a group of women and they all really liked it. Next time I will try it with spice cake mix. Good recipe.
Oct 31, 2016
This is wonderful! I would have preferred the cake mix companies raise their prices rather than give you less product. 3 ozs less doesn't sound like a lot but I prefer making layer cakes and they just don't look as good, especially when you're dividing layers. Duncan Heinz has a recipe for a cake mix extender on their website, but if you have to mess with that you may as well make the whole thing from scratch.
Oct 31, 2016
This is wonderful! I would have preferred the cake mix companies simply raise their prices rather than give you less product. 3 ounces less doesn't sound like a lot but I prefer making layer cakes and they just don't look as good, especially when you're dividing layers. Duncan Heinz has a recipe for a cake mix extender on their website, but if you have to mess with that you may as well make the whole thing from scratch.
Oct 11, 2016
Made this and I must concur, it's definitely a five-star recipe. It's presentation as well as flavor rivals any bakery ! Thanks for sharing, I will be making this often !
Oct 8, 2016
I made this for my friend's birthday. She loves fall desserts. This one was perfect! It was easy to make, but looks like you spent hours on it. It's delicious without being overly sweet. Will definitely make again!!