- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Ham Chowder
"Delicious chowder that I will definitely prepare for my family again next fall/winter! The only thing I did differently was add fresh garlic."
"Awesome Chowder, super easy to make and delicious!"
"Made this soup for the first time, and it won't be the last. It is truly great tasting."
"Not that this recipe needs another 5 star review but this truly is a delicious chowder. I avoid chowders because they're usually way too thick and heavy. This was neither, just a perfect balance. I used 2% milk and reduced sodium chicken broth for the liquids and I added celery and thyme as suggested by other reviewers. I will make this again."
"I added celery, 12 oz. of frozen corn instead of canned corn, I added thyme lemon sea salt."
"This recipe made me want to sign up after trying multiple others over the past few months.If you haven't made it yet, make it.The author is a culinary genious. I love it.I removed the carrots, and onions, and added some garlic powder, as well as some extra ham, but this recipe is fantastic however you like it. It's open to customization, but if you like the vegetables, there's no way you can go wrong here. If you like garlic, I would definitely recommend adding a light amount of it. Don't overdo it, the flavors in this dish shouldn't be overthrown by the garlic."
"I had never made a soup like this. Very good, will make it again."
"This was amazing! I love my soups a little on the thick side and this one fit the bill. The flavors were perfect. Did not change a thing. Thanks for the recipe."
"Absolutely delicious! Wouldn't change a thing!"