- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheeseburger Soup
"Made it for a gathering and received rave reviews from everyone!"
"I've been making Cheeseburger CHOWDER for 20 years my recipe is better...but nice attempt lol Velveeta"
"I make quantities of this recipe & freeze for Me & Gifts...that's how good it is!"
"Made this for supper tonight and it was delicious!! I plan on sharing this recipe with my grown daughters. I know my son-in-law will love it!!"
"Can you make this cheeseburger soup in a crockpot ?"
"A new family favorite!!"
"My family and I love this recipe so much I have shared it with my older sister and her granddaughter said that it was from Heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us."
"My husband and I loved this soup. I did make some adjustments though. I only put in 2 cups of potatoes instead of 4, and 8 oz. of cheese instead of 16. Excellent taste."
"I made this the other day and my whole family loved it. Thank you for sharing it!"