Cheddar Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut butter in flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the water, mixing gently with a fork. Gather into a ball. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, place broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk; stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, chicken, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Spoon into a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough for crust to fit top of casserole, trimming edges as necessary. Place on casserole over filling; seal edges. Make several slits in center of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 603 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 902mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2019
Excellent. I don't make crust often, and this was easy and turned out great (though I did have to add a touch more water). I served it over peas and carrots because I like extra veggies in my pot pies. But it was delicious and I'll make it again.
Feb 17, 2019
Very good recipe!! I did use a pre-made pie crust (I am not good with dough, at all), and I used frozen mixed veggies, as I needed to clean out my freezer. We did think this needed some salt and pepper, but that was an easy fix.
Jan 9, 2019
Delish can I say it again DELISH. I love this recipe. I was pressed for time and didn’t had the cheese. ( I had to go to work ) It was still amazing. I will keep forever.
Apr 8, 2018
Everyone loved this. On the dinner rotation!
Feb 3, 2016
Jan 12, 2016
Absolutely Delicious!!! It was full of flavor. The entire family loved this.
Dec 5, 2015
Awesome way to use leftover roasted chicken. I had already had the vegetables from the roast. Everyone liked it! I made it for my family who helped me get ready for Christmas this year.
Sep 9, 2015
Easy to make, husband and kids enjoyed. Made the recipe just as written above.
Jan 21, 2015
Delicious! Didn't change a thing, and it was great!
Dec 4, 2014
Everyone loved it. Added a bit more salt and some garlic.