Golden Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 potpies (6 servings each)
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (14.10 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine the first 11 ingredients. Divide between two 9-in. deep-dish pie plates.
- Roll out pastry sheets to fit top of each pie. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies up to 3 months. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Remove foil and bake until golden brown or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 50-55 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 415 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Apr 15, 2018
Super easy and not too heavy or greasy. I used 1% milk and light sour cream. I think adding a bit of celery next time would be perfect. Served with pickled beets, it was very satisfying.
Mar 23, 2018
This was a hit on National "Pi Day!" I did, however, make a couple changes. I omitted the hash browns and used cream of chicken soup, as I couldn't find cream of onion soup in the store. For the chicken, I used a cooked rotisserie chicken, that I shredded and cut into cubes. Also, I replaced the sour cream with vanilla yogurt. Delicious! Will make this again!
Mar 16, 2018
This was a big hit with my husband and son. I also used shredded has browns. I could not find cream of onion soup anywhere. I've never seen it in an grocery store ever. So I used cream of mushroom and saut?ed an half onion in a little olive oil, drained the oil and added it to the mixture. I think more veggies would be good too. All in all a great recipe.
Jan 28, 2018
Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort food to me. This one is delicious. Uses on hand ingredients and is so tasty. Great to serve on these cold winter evenings!
Jan 20, 2018
Made this last night, and it was a winner!! I didn't have cubed hash browns so I used regular hash browns- no cream of onion soup (didn't even know they made that! LOL} so used 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom. Didn't have the frozen mixed veggies, but I did have a bag of of mixed asparagus, corn, green beans that worked just fine. Also, used a lot more seasonings as that is what my family likes! The only suggestion was that there could have been more veggies- I just had a small bag! Will definitely be making this again!
Jun 23, 2016
I made this recently for a friend and her family. She is enduring chemo treatments and I thought it would be helpful for them to have one for now and one for another day. Since both pies were a gift, I did not try them but my friends family loved it and her daughter asked for the recipe. No complaints. The one I baked smelled wonderful. Paired with a garden salad they said it was a great meal.
Jan 19, 2015
This may use packaged ingredients, but it's still much better than any store bought potpie I've tried. I just used normal hash browns in one pie and no potatoes in the other because of a potato allergy.
Jan 23, 2014
Not much flavor and stayed with the exact recipe.
Jul 7, 2013
Only made one pie and just used cream of chicken soup. Came out great.
Jun 11, 2013
This was really good, but we could only eat 1/2. I put the other half of filling in the freezer for later, it wasn't near as good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.