Golden Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 potpies (6 servings each)
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine the first 11 ingredients. Divide between two 9-in. deep-dish pie plates.
- Roll out crusts to fit top of each pie. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies up to 3 months. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Remove foil and bake until golden brown or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 50-55 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 415 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 11, 2019
We really loved this! I halved the recipe to only make one pie. After reading some of the reviews, I added additional salt and freshly ground pepper, and threw some shredded cheddar cheese into the mix for added flavor. This is a dense pie, very creamy, and I like that you can vary the soups or frozen vegetables based on what you have on hand. Will definitely make this one again!
Apr 18, 2019
I thought this was lacking flavor. It was too bland for my family.
Feb 17, 2019
I made this and its good, but i had to use more salt. I made just one pie, cut the ingreidents in half, because i wanted to make sure i like it. Next time i will make two, freeze the another for another day.
Dec 2, 2018
This is t really a review more of a question. What are cubed hash brown potatoes? Hash browns are shredded potatoes. I never seen them in cubes. Does it mean tater tots?
Nov 29, 2018
Couldn't find a can of cream of onion, but a can of cream of mushroom or another of chicken makes a good substitute. I'm not a fan of packaged hash browns, but a diced potato and some seasoning can be used instead. Fry it up a little before adding to make sure the potato is cooked through. Likewise, fresh steamed vegetables can be substituted for the frozen ones. Good way to use up cooked chicken!
Apr 15, 2018
Super easy and not too heavy or greasy. I used 1% milk and light sour cream. I think adding a bit of celery next time would be perfect. Served with pickled beets, it was very satisfying.
Mar 23, 2018
This was a hit on National "Pi Day!" I did, however, make a couple changes. I omitted the hash browns and used cream of chicken soup, as I couldn't find cream of onion soup in the store. For the chicken, I used a cooked rotisserie chicken, that I shredded and cut into cubes. Also, I replaced the sour cream with vanilla yogurt. Delicious! Will make this again!
Mar 16, 2018
This was a big hit with my husband and son. I also used shredded has browns. I could not find cream of onion soup anywhere. I've never seen it in an grocery store ever. So I used cream of mushroom and saut?ed an half onion in a little olive oil, drained the oil and added it to the mixture. I think more veggies would be good too. All in all a great recipe.
Jan 28, 2018
Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort food to me. This one is delicious. Uses on hand ingredients and is so tasty. Great to serve on these cold winter evenings!
Jan 20, 2018
Made this last night, and it was a winner!! I didn't have cubed hash browns so I used regular hash browns- no cream of onion soup (didn't even know they made that! LOL} so used 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom. Didn't have the frozen mixed veggies, but I did have a bag of of mixed asparagus, corn, green beans that worked just fine. Also, used a lot more seasonings as that is what my family likes! The only suggestion was that there could have been more veggies- I just had a small bag! Will definitely be making this again!