Puff Pastry Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cut one sheet crosswise into six 2-in. strips; cut remaining sheet lengthwise into five 2-in. strips. On a baking sheet, closely weave strips to make a 12x10-in. lattice. Freeze while making filling.
- Toss chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and herbs; cook 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and 1 cup cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables, lemon juice, chicken and the remaining salt and pepper; return to a boil. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. oblong baking dish. Top with lattice, trimming to fit.
- Whisk together egg yolk and remaining cream; brush over pastry. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and golden brown, 45-55 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 523 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein.
Apr 18, 2018
I've tried this recipe a few time could never get the pastry to cook on the underside so this time I made dumplings instead it was pretty amazing
Feb 3, 2018
This is a FANTASTIC pot pie recipe! It is rich and flavourful with the perfect addition of puff pastry. The only change I made was to deglaze the pan with a 1/2c of white wine after cooking the chicken. Otherwise, it is perfect as is! We served it over garlic mashed potatoes on a cold Canadian winter evening.
Dec 23, 2017
Soooooo good! Little salty so next time will cut salt in half. Other than that this was amazing especially with the puff pastry! Total hit!
Oct 14, 2017
Very good! Everyone enjoyed it and it was pretty
Nov 13, 2016
So yummy I added fresh Vegetables love it.
Oct 16, 2016
A new favorite chicken pot pie recipe!Instead of using frozen mixed veggies, I saut?ed some fresh carrots, broccoli & onion to add in it.
Oct 13, 2016
Very wonderful tasting pot pie. I added a little more sage. I love sage. The puff pastry was delicious on it and so pretty.
Oct 12, 2016
YUM!! Absolutely the best-tasting chicken pot pie I ever made! The crust is even awesome, unlike other recipes I have tried! And so comforting this time of year when it is chilly outside! Thank you for posting this, and how lucky your wife is to have you cook this for her! I always like the eating part better than the cooking part, LOL!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.