Classic Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 16 ounces), thawed
- 2-1/4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a greased deep 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine first four ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and thyme until blended; gradually whisk in broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Roll pastry dough to fit top of dish; place over filling. Trim and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is heated through, 18-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 363 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 11, 2018
Pretty good! Attempting to recreate former chicken pot pie appearance, I used 2 boxes (12 oz. each) Pacific organic cream of chicken condensed soup & mistakenly added Frontier salt free onion and herb seasoning which made the veggie/chicken mixture taste weird. DH isn't a big fan of thyme so shook in copious homemade poultry seasoning. Better taste; topped with buttered torn Trader Joe's gluten free sandwich bread. DH finished off the baking dish. The soup is very salty, 850 mg. in 1/2 cup. Bring on the agua!
Sep 21, 2017
It was really good. I did both the bottom and top crust. Super easy to make too. I would cook the veggies first before adding then to the pie. I also just used a cup of onion that I cut up myself.
Mar 16, 2016
This is a delicious recipe. I sauted cubed chicken with one chopped onion and set that aside. I doubled the white sauce using low sodium chicken broth and skim milk. MIxed the sauce with chicken, onions and vegetables and covered with pie crust. Next time I want to substitue the pie crust with puff pastry. really and easy to make
Jan 31, 2016
Hubby ate it w/o complaint except when dishing it out, he said, "It doesn't look the same" (as the former CPP.) I halved the recipe, using 10 oz. chicken broth, 1 1/2 tsps. Chicken Better Than Boullion, about 1 1/2 tsps. Trader Joe's Poultry Rub, omitted the 'shrooms & onions, substituted 3T. organic corn starch, and substituted torn pan-toasted 3 Bakers gluten free bread coated with 1/2 cup melted butter. It's is simpler & quicker to create than my former recipe. Sorry this is so long.
Nov 28, 2015
I made this because I could not access my usual recipe box on Taste Of Home tonight. For some reason. I often find the website to be difficult when I use my IPad. I would make more flour butter sauce next time because mine was not too creamy. The store was out of pearl onions today so I used regular onion and it was fine. But overall, my family ate it so that is a success in my book.
Sep 29, 2015
Didn't use pearl onions, red instead, no mushrooms. Delicious. Will be making again!
Aug 31, 2015
Wonderful and easy to make. I will make this again for sure. The only things I changed was I made double crust and used chopped onion.
Mar 10, 2015
I make this recipe religiously! My family loves it and its a great way for my kids to get a ton of vegetables. I use fresh mushrooms and add celery for that yummy crunch. Absolutely delicious recipe!
Feb 14, 2015
I made this tonight because my boyfriend said that he wanted chicken pot pie kfc style. I bought 6 soup mugs and double the recipe and it only filled 5 of the mugs. Everybody raved about this meal and want me to make it again. It is really easy to make.
Feb 9, 2015
This was a good, quick, semi-homemade meal. I think I needed to mix the gravy with the vegetables better. I was in a hurry and just poured it on top and the gravy just sat there and didn't coat evenly. I will try it again and see if I need to adjust my rating. I used chopped onions and veggie broth with chicken bouillion (since I had one opened in the fridge). Tasted fine! Will make again!