Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- For pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl. Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds of dough into a 12-in. square. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll remaining dough into 9-in. square; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 591 calories, 38g fat (22g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Dec 6, 2018
Loved by my family. After making it for my family the first time, they loved it - thereafter I tweaked it a bit to my families taste. This is an awesome pie all around just as it is! Yummmmm
Feb 7, 2018
Really good. I used my own pastry and chicken broth as others suggested. Also I used fresh vegetables instead of frozen (and more than 1 cup).
Jan 5, 2018
Great recipe. I used my own crust recipe, only one for the top. I used the water that I cooked the chicken in, then added some chicken bouillon granules. Very tasty comfort food.
Nov 13, 2017
This was simply delicious and very comforting! My whole family loved it. The flavor and texture of the crust was so yummy. I also used chicken broth as other reviewers said.
Mar 24, 2014
This is one of my favorite recipes, I always double it & use an 8x11 glass dish. Don't be afraid of the dough, it really is easy to roll out & patch up if it gets a hole while assembling. Use chicken broth and a whole bag of mixed veggies or just peas & carrots. When I use the mixed veggies, I like the added corn & Lima beans-no one would eat a Lima bean in my house until this recipe. The taste is so home style & comforting..we love it. I must have made it 100 times...and will probably make it 100 more.
Dec 5, 2013
There's no better comfort food out there in my opinion but this recipe was great! I also use chicken broth if I have it on hand and will change out the vegetables depending on what the family feels like.
Jun 25, 2013
I have made this MANY times but I do change a couple of things: I don't add garlic as I did not like the taste in this dish, I use chicken broth instead of water in the filling mixture, and I use a whole small bag of mixed vegetables. Other than that - it is delicious. The crust is always flaky and very tender and quite forgiving. It doesn't have to be "perfect" and it just adds a wonderful texture to the pie.
Apr 10, 2013
One of our "keeper" recipes- worth the effort and tastes great- love it!
Mar 6, 2012
It was WONDERFUL. Made it on March 6 2012. I think I will add some corn next time
Mar 6, 2012
It was Wonderful, I will add some corn next time