Chicken Deep Dish Potpie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Additional milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Set aside a third of the dough. Roll out remaining dough to fit a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Transfer pastry to baking dish; trim even with edge; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, peas, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, bouillon, tarragon and pepper until smooth. gradually stir in the milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into chicken mixture; spoon into crust.
- Roll out reserved dough to fit top of pie. Make cutouts in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Brush additional milk over pastry.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 634 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 957mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 28, 2019
Love the pastry - it was excellent! The tarragon gives it an interesting flavour. What was very disppointing is that there are no instructions to precook the vegetables, like other recipes do. Even after an hour in the oven, the potatoes and carrots weren't done. The potatoes were diced in small pieces and the carrots were thinly sliced so I don't know what the problem was. I would have given more than 3 stars if the veggies were done.
Oct 13, 2018
Delicious! I did make some changes based on what I had on hand. Primarily - I used 2 cups chicken broth and par boiled the carrots, potato and onion in the broth while I was cooking the chicken in another pan. Removed the cooked chicken pieces, made a roux in the pan juices using the flour, and milk, then added the broth/vegetable mix. I believe starting the veg in the broth added flavor and this dish did need the 2 cups broth to make enough creamy filling so the pie was not dry. I also used puff pastry for the crust. So Good and entire pan was gone next day!
Feb 24, 2015
Why would you use tarragon in a chicken pot pie? Ewww!
Jul 1, 2013
Forgot to add that it was 1/4 tsp of celery seed and I also added garlic powder about a tsp.
Jul 1, 2013
This is the best pot pie recipe we have found so far. I highly doubt we will look for another at this point. The only thing I would change is to double up on the rue. It is pretty good for the first initial meal. But if you have leftovers, as we did, it is a bit dry after reheating. Another note, I had no tarragon so I used celery seed in its place.