Mile-High Chicken Potpie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 large egg, separated
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups fresh peas or frozen peas
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add yolk mixture, tossing with a fork; add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two portions, one with three-quarters of the dough and one with the remainder. Shape each into a disk; cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- For filling, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Saute potatoes, carrots, celery and onion until crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in flour, bouillon, tarragon and pepper. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken and peas; set aside to cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit bottom and up the sides of an 8-in. springform pan. Place dough in pan; add cooled filling. Roll remaining dough to fit over the top. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Lightly beat egg white with 1 teaspoon water. Brush over the top crust; sprinkle with celery seed. Place pie on a rimmed baking tray.
- Bake at 400° until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 700 calories, 38g fat (22g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 1282mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Jun 4, 2019
I have made this several times and everyone loves it! So good! It takes a while to prepare, so plan ahead!
Feb 13, 2019
This looks so good and tastes as good as it looks. This is not a quick recipe to make so allow plenty of time.
Dec 28, 2018
This is so good and so impressive! Everyone LOVED it. A show-stopper. It came out perfect. I will be making this one again and again.