Chicken Potpie Galette with Cheddar-Thyme Crust
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups julienned Swiss chard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Combine flour, cheese, thyme and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; refrigerate 1 hour.
- For filling, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until slightly softened, 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3 minutes longer. Add Swiss chard and garlic; cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together broth, flour, salt and pepper; slowly pour over vegetables, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken and oregano.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll dough into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Spoon filling over pastry to within 2 in. of edge. Fold pastry edge over filling, pleating as you go, leaving center uncovered. Bake on a lower oven rack until crust is golden brown and filling bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 342 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 13, 2018
This wasn't bad, but I thought it would be great based on the reviews and because it was a contest winner. I would not bother making again, as it was somewhat labor intensive and, personally, not worth the effort.
Jun 4, 2018
Magnificant! Great flavor! Loved the rustic look! We added extra mushrooms because they added so much flavor. I cooked it on a stoneware pizza pan covered with parchment paper and the crust turned nice and brown without burning. It was so popular, we have already made it again!
May 26, 2018
This was fantastic! Everyone loved it. Did sub kale for the chard as others have mentioned, and only used a pinch of dried thyme in crust (personal preference), but otherwise followed recipe as is. Have also made it with leftover roast beef, which is even better.
Apr 27, 2018
Delicious! Substituted kale for chard.
Apr 20, 2018
LOVE this recipe! It was a nice twist on the traditional pot pie. The flavors were on point but my kids really loved it because it reminded them of pizza :) We swapped kale for the chard and used all-purpose gluten-free flour and it was delicious!
Apr 10, 2018
I made the dough in the evening and put it in the fridge overnight and did the rest after work the next day. I used the same ingredients as the recipe. It was so good! Keeper recipe!
Apr 9, 2018
Followed recipe & it turned out Very good! Sliced chicken breasts to thin down & then Roasted with s& p & olive oil in oven (took about 15 min on 350) & then shredded. The only switches I made is I used spinach & dried thyme. Crust turned out great (I put a little butter on the crust before baking). The sauce came together correctly. Will make again!
Mar 29, 2018
This was fabulous and we will definitely have this again. I would say it is more like 6 servings rather than 8. I had doubled the recipe thinking that some would want seconds and indeed they did. We ended up with one piece left at the end of dinner (8 adults around the table). You won't be disappointed with this recipe.
Mar 1, 2018
This was DELICIOUS! Mine wasn't as pretty as that photo, but it still looked scrumptious. I couldn't find Swiss chard at the Pick 'n Save, so I swapped it for kale. I thought it worked well. I will definitely be making this again!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.