Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (10 slices)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Coat an 8x4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, egg substitute and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in carrots and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 182 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 28, 2010
This recipe is a winner. I double the recipe and make two loaves at once. It freezes very well. I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup because I don't like it too sweet.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.