Lemon Carrot Bread
Lemon and carrot flavors combine for a unique flavor sensation in this moist quick bread. I know it's a winner because I bring a loaf to our church festival every year, and I always get requests to bake it again.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the carrots, pecans and lemon zest.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minute. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 181 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Lemon-Carrot Tea Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2009