Pineapple Carrot Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons milk, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs; add carrots, oil, pineapple and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Spoon into two greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- If glaze is desired, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 192 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 5, 2018
I just made this and ate a warm slice. It is very delicious and moist! I chose not to add the glaze because I didn't want the extra sugar. I can't say how it would be with the glaze, but I certainly don't think it needs it. The only very very minor additions I made were the following: A little bit of ground allspice (about 1/4 teaspoon for the whole recipe). I did that because a carrot loaf cake I've made in the past had allspice in it, and I really love it along with the cinnamon. I also added about 3 Tbs (or around 1/4 cup) of unsweetened apple sauce after I stirred in the carrot. I did that only because I felt the batter was just too thick. I'm glad I did that. It worked out great, but I wouldn't recommend others doing that unless they also felt the batter was too thick. Perhaps my flour may have been a factor. I don't know. This recipe is nice because it's more of a sweet bread than loaf cake. I prefer sweet breads for breakfast, which is what I made it for.
May 3, 2015
Wonderful bread, great tasting, however, it has too much sugar.
Oct 27, 2009
My husband gave me a wierd look when I told him what I was making but he ended up loving it! I substitute pureed white beans (with a little water to make the same consistancy as oil) for oil in all of my quick breads, you can't taste the difference but the texture is lighter and less greasy. I know it sounds wierd but once you try it you'll never go back to oil.