Carrot Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) onion soup mix
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Combine eggs, milk, soup mix, bread crumbs and carrots. Add beef and pork; mix well. Shape mixture into a circle with a 9-in. diameter; form a 3-in. hole in the center of the circle. Place in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spread over meat. Bake 10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°.
- MICROWAVE METHOD: Prepare and shape loaf as above. Place on a microwave-proof platter. Cover with waxed paper. Microwave on high for 16-18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, giving the dish a quarter turn every 3 minutes. Drain. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a custard cup, combine glaze ingredients. Spread half the glaze over meat loaf. Return to microwave on medium for 1 minute; remove. Cover remaining glaze with waxed paper and heat in microwave on medium for 1 minute. Serve glaze in center of meat loaf.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 309 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Sep 2, 2014
very moist - I would use a spring form pan next time though
Mar 10, 2013
The best easiest meat loaf we ever had..SUPER!
Dec 13, 2012
Besides tasting good, the presentation of this meatloaf is easy and good enough for guests or a special occasion. I used the mouth of a 16 oz tumbler to make the hole in the center. Also, I used 2.5 lbs of meatloaf mix - wasn't sure it would be enough but it was fine. I've tried many different meatloaf recipes, but this is one of the best! The glaze is delish too.
Jun 30, 2010
I made this for our Community Free lunch program and it was a real hit. I am always worried about getting veggies into people who do not usually like veggies - they loved this.I did not use the bread crumbs - I substituted more veggies. I did not have any complaints and many asked for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.