California Roll in a Jar
I'm a big sushi fan, but I don't always have time to make those intricate rolls at home. This jar is layered with my favorite California roll ingredients, so I can get the flavor I love without the fuss. —James Schend, Deputy Editor, Taste of Home Magazine
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 nori sheets, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger slices, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Wash rice in a colander until water runs clear. Combine rice, 1 cup water and salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Combine rice vinegar and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir into rice.
- Place 1/3 cup rice into each of four 1-pint wide-mouth canning jars; layer with half of the avocados, crabmeat, cucumber and nori. Top with remaining rice and repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Transfer into bowls; toss to combine. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Test Kitchen tips