Taco Salad in a Jar
We loved this great taco salad recipe from Elissa Dougherty of Babylon, New York, so we created a make-and-take version for lunch on the go. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with onion, garlic and lemon juice. In each of four 1-qt. wide-mouth canning jars, divide and layer ingredients in the following order: sour cream, salsa, beef, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, green onions, avocado mixture, cheese and lettuce. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Transfer salads into bowls; toss to combine. If desired, serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 483 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1087mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as 9 Layer Taco Salad in Make & Take Cookbook Bookazine 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.