Reuben Salad in a Jar
Amy Smith from Avon, Connecticut, shared her layered Reuben salad with us, and we couldn’t resist making it extra portable. Get ready to be asked for the recipe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed rye bread
- 3/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 cups chopped pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- In a bowl, combine butter and pepper. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- In each of four 1-qt. wide-mouth canning jars, divide and layer ingredients in the following order: dressing, pastrami, sauerkraut, tomato, green onions, cheese and salad greens. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Divide croutons among 4-oz. glass jars or other small containers; cover. To serve, transfer salads and croutons into bowls; toss to combine.
Test Kitchen tips