Cabbage Patch Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (10 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a blender, combine the milk, oil, egg, cabbage, carrot, celery, parsley, honey and salt; cover and process until smooth. Add to yeast mixture. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into round loves. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 18, 2014
My whole family loved this recipe. A definite keeper. Will be making this often. So much better than store bought vegetable bread. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 29, 2008
Good, but nothing special. We could not taste any carrot or cabbage or celery or parsley; it tasted like wheat bread with color flecks in it.