- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Maple syrup, optional
- Additional butter, optional
- Combine first eight ingredients. Whisk the egg, buttermilk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Preheat a nonstick griddle coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle; turn when bubbles on top begin to pop. Cook until second side is golden brown. If desired, serve with syrup and additional butter. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forButtermilk Buckwheat Pancakes
"Made this for my husband who loves buckwheat pancakes. Used just the egg white, no salt, almond milk and instead of butter 1/2 T organic Smart Balance and 1/2 T canola oil. They turned out great and possibly healthier. Served them with Ohio maple syrup and raspberries. I'll definitely make them again! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Great pancakes. Something everyone can eat, both those who can eat wheat and those who are gluten free. To make it easier I just add pumpkin pie spice instead of the separate spices. I also used homemade kefir instead of buttermilk (just because that is what I had) They turned out fluffy and light."
"love all the flavors. I can use 1/2 buckwheat, 1/2 whole wheat and family loves them. Also coconut oil instead of butter lets you use less sugar. Really great taste - a hit with fruit and ham - thanks"
"Hubby who is gluten free loves these for breakfast. Serve with warm syrup and fresh fruit. Have even put blueberries in them."
"top score with a slight alteration ;)"
"I didn't like the brown sugar and spices in this. I like to taste the buckwheat. I use a little molasses to sweeten and like it best with yeast."