Strawberry Buttermilk Skillet Shortcake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 10 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
- For streusel topping, in a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and allspice; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Top with strawberries. Bake until center is puffed and edges are golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 526 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
May 21, 2020
The cake was exceptional, but we didn't care for the strawberries being baked on top of the cake. I will make the cake again, but bake it without the berries and serve the berries, sliced and sugared, over the top along with some whipped cream. I did add about a teaspoon of vanilla to the cake batter because I was always taught if a recipe has eggs, butter and sugar, it needs some vanilla!
May 12, 2020
This cake baked up light, pillowy and delicious on the inside with yummy crunchy edges. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream. I found the fruit to cake ratio was not enough, so topped leftovers with sweetened strawberries and warmed before topping with ice cream. It's definitely best when eaten right after baking. We love strawberry shortcake, and this is a delicious and easy recipe to use as an alternative to traditional shortcakes. VFE
Apr 13, 2020
It was very good but my results were a bit dry. Not sure that I’d make it again.
Mar 30, 2020
I made this yesterday and it was fantastic! Shortcakes are not usually my favorite because they are often not sweet and they are often on the dry side. This was perfect! Moist cake, crunchy edges, and the strawberries added a perfect dimension to this cake. Eight people had some and everyone thought it was exceptional. Thank you, Claudia!!!
Feb 28, 2020
I loved this skillet cake. I used butter flavored shortening and it was so good. I love trying new recipes for iron skillets. I have my Mom’s old skillets and I love using them.