Dad’s Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Let stand 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease a griddle or large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Stir blueberries into batter. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is brown.
Nutrition Facts3 pancakes: 332 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
May 10, 2018
Looking forward to trying this.
Apr 27, 2018
It is GREAT!!!
Jan 26, 2016
Only change I made was to add some chopped walnuts for extra fiber. Delicious pancakes, thanks "Dad".
Jan 23, 2016
I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out fluffy and delicious!
Sep 25, 2015
Really tasty, but my pancakes turned out more flat than fluffy.
Jul 30, 2015
Good taste, but mine came out pretty thin also. I would maybe try less buttermilk next time.
Jul 14, 2015
Followed recipe exactly like another viewer too flat. And didn't like the flavor combination either. Made another batch with an old recipe.
Jul 11, 2015
Sadly, these pancakes didn't quite do it for us this morning. Not sure what the issue was but they turned out more like wafers or crepes than thick, fluffy pancakes. The flavour of the oats and vanilla didn't quite sit well with the cornmeal and blueberries. I'm a stickler for following a recipe to a T but these just didn't pan out. - Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 16, 2015
Made them for dinner, was supperb. Love the addition on of quick oats in the pancakes. Had extra buttermilk that always goes to waste so I made a batch for my mom dad. Saving this receipe for my all time favorite blueberry buttermilk pancake. Thank you Dad for sharing your receipe!
Jun 14, 2015
Dad sure makes some good pancakes! These were different, but I really like them and will be making them again. Nice and fluffy and a little healthier than others. I halved the recipe because they were only for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.