Breakfast in Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup each shredded Monterey Jack, Swiss and sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in milk. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in bacon, ham and cheese. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 324 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 6, 2019
I made this recipe and I love it. It was super easy to make, not much of a mess and I baked it for the required 50 minutes and it was just right. Confused me since she said that she liked it better with the pre-cooked bacon. Since the recipe calls for cooked and crumbled bacon, I can’t figure out what the reviewer was referring to. The bacon is supposed to be cooked before you put it into the batter and bake it. Anyway I did cook six slices of bacon until they were crisp and then I let them cool and crumbled them and put them into the batter along with the ham and cheeses. The next day I put a slice of the bread into my toaster oven and lightly toasted it, then I spread some of my favorite local raspberry jalapeño jam on it. Super delicious!
Dec 22, 2017
I've made this twice - the first time I wasn't so sure I liked it, but I tried again. It was a hit at a family breakfast - everyone seemed relieved to have a non-sweet treat by this point in the holiday season.For me, it worked better when I used pre-cooked bacon. The texture was better.