Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 211 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 31, 2017
I have made this casserole twice now, the first time as written, it was delicious, but it lacked the full flavor of the eggs and cheese..but last night I made it again, and this time I used white bread and brioche bread, whole eggs, crispy bacon and full fat cheese...no low calorie anything in this dish..I baked it this morning and this time, there was no leftover..best breakfast casserole ever!
Jul 28, 2013
My family loves this casserole knowing it is very low fat. We use turkey sausage and brown it with red peppers and scallions. I also use different kinds of bread and layer it on the bottom. Fresh wheat bread was great. I try to fix once a week with slight variations. It is fantastic.
Jan 5, 2013
This is just like another recipe on Taste of Home, Cheesy Sausage Strata - and that one is much better with whole eggs!
Apr 15, 2012
This is a great recipe. I usually change it up a bit to be slightly healthier with wheat bread and use ground chicken or turkey. I also add a can of fat free cream of mushroom and mushrooms. It's delicious! And tastes great re-heated!
Aug 1, 2011
Very tasty recipe! I omitted the mustard, and added fresh spinach to the recipe. The kids loved it, and it worked as a quick meal before school.
Jan 10, 2010
I made two casseroles for Christmas morning breakfast. I made one sausage and one bacon. They were delicious and so easy to make (I did prepare the night before).