Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6-8 servings each)
- 4-1/2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sprinkle the croutons, cheese, onion, peppers and mushrooms into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Mar 11, 2018
This is one of my favorites, one of my go-to recipes that I have been using for years! I usually just put it all in a 9x13 pan to bake and often assemble the night before and refrigerate overnight. Sometimes I use ham or sausage instead of bacon.
Nov 25, 2015
Nov 17, 2015
I LOVE this recipe and have used it for years! I follow the recipe but put it all in a 9 x 13 inch dish to bake. It's a family favorite!
Apr 20, 2015
I cut the recipe down and served it in my ramekins. We loved it. Will be making it again.
Mar 29, 2015
I have made this many times and it's always a hit. I want to put it all in a 9 x 13 dish this time for a bigger crowd. Anyone know how long it will take to bake?
Dec 25, 2013
I prepared this on Christmas Eve and popped it in the oven this morning. Everyone is still raving about it! I added ham to it. Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be a 'go to' recipe for sure!
May 5, 2012
This my go-to breakfast casserole recipe. It is easy and so delicious. I have made it so many times now that I have gotten creative with variations. If I'm not in the mood for mushrooms, I add chopped yellow pepper in its place. If I want a meatless variation, I omit the bacon entirely or I substitute with meatless soy crumbles (aka vegetarian ground beef). You can also play around with different cheeses, although extra sharp cheddar is my favorite.
Mar 9, 2012
This was amazing! Delicious and easy to make. I put it all together Christmas Eve and it was ready to bake the next morning.
Dec 25, 2011
I have made this recipe many, many times. It freezes well.
Dec 24, 2011
Love this recipe. I always get compliments when I make it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.