Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 loaf (25 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Combine salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 22, 2018
This bread is delicious, and extremely easy to make. It tastes delicious! For years, I have screwed up bread, and it always tasted kinda funny, with a bitter aftertaste. I'm a good baker, but bread seemed to be beyond my reach.Not this recipe- it is my go-to for all bread from now on!!! I used black sesame, black onion seeds, garlic powder, onion granules(couldn't find minced onion at the corner grocery store) and poppy seeds on the top (I don't like caraway seeds). I followed the recipe to the letter, but added some herbes de Provence to the dough. I used Bob's Mill All Purpose Unbleached White Flour. I am scared to try it with the Bob's Mill bread flour, because the texture of this bread is absolutely perfect. It's soft, and cuts well, and looks pretty, too. I made a loaf of bread, and 12 huge rolls, that I've turned into buns. This is my go-to recipe for bread, from now-on.
Nov 16, 2017
Great and tasty bread. So easy to make and the taste was outsanding!!!!.Will make this again and again.
Nov 29, 2016
Recipe calls for all purpose flour. Can I use bread flour in place of it? If so, the same amount?
May 12, 2016
i loved the fact that it had sesame, poppy and caraway seeds. but then i am hooked any kind of homemade bread. this was way too yummy. it was gone in less then 20 minutes
Feb 24, 2016
Easy, beautiful, tasty,...my go-to recipe for impressing company.
Jan 24, 2016
So easy. Followed the recipe exactly. Great flavor with the seasonings on top and very soft inside (surprised at that). Makes a HUGE loaf.
Jan 17, 2016
This is an easy recipe. It bakes up very soft and tender. It has potential for a lot of variety. It can go sweet or savory.
Sep 18, 2015
Came out beuutifully. Didn't expect it to be so soft inside.
Jul 19, 2015
Yum! This recipe is delicious. Our whole family loved it! We didn't have any caraway but it was delicious anyway!
May 12, 2015
Delicious. Added 1/2 tsp onion powder to the dough and it tasted just like an onion bagel. One of the best breads I've ever made. Used my bread machine to mix the dough, and needed to add about an extra cup of flour. I agree that you don't need all the salt. Too salty.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.