Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 loaf (25 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Combine salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 102 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 25, 2020
Probably one of the best breads I've baked this year! I will definitely make this one again.
Jan 25, 2020
Can this recipe be made in a bread machine?
Jan 1, 2019
Loved this bread! It is pretty simple to make and came out great. The only adjustment I made was that I just used poppy seeds and sesame seeds as I didn’t have caraway. I will be making this again for sure.
Dec 9, 2018
I hadn’t made bread for probably 10 years, and I’d never braided a loaf before. I knew I’d never end up with equal thirds, so I divided into fourths and did a four strand braid. I knocked the oven temp down to 350 and it baked for 32 mins. I also used the Everything Bagel seasoning blend from Spices Etc. rather than mix my own. This was really easy, taste and texture are fantastic, and it made a gigantic loaf - mine was 16”x7”. This one’s a keeper.
Mar 22, 2018
This bread is delicious, and extremely easy to make. It tastes delicious! For years, I have screwed up bread, and it always tasted kinda funny, with a bitter aftertaste. I'm a good baker, but bread seemed to be beyond my reach.Not this recipe- it is my go-to for all bread from now on!!! I used black sesame, black onion seeds, garlic powder, onion granules(couldn't find minced onion at the corner grocery store) and poppy seeds on the top (I don't like caraway seeds). I followed the recipe to the letter, but added some herbes de Provence to the dough. I used Bob's Mill All Purpose Unbleached White Flour. I am scared to try it with the Bob's Mill bread flour, because the texture of this bread is absolutely perfect. It's soft, and cuts well, and looks pretty, too. I made a loaf of bread, and 12 huge rolls, that I've turned into buns. This is my go-to recipe for bread, from now-on.
Nov 16, 2017
Great and tasty bread. So easy to make and the taste was outsanding!!!!.Will make this again and again.
Nov 29, 2016
Recipe calls for all purpose flour. Can I use bread flour in place of it? If so, the same amount?
May 12, 2016
i loved the fact that it had sesame, poppy and caraway seeds. but then i am hooked any kind of homemade bread. this was way too yummy. it was gone in less then 20 minutes
Feb 24, 2016
Easy, beautiful, tasty,...my go-to recipe for impressing company.
Jan 24, 2016
So easy. Followed the recipe exactly. Great flavor with the seasonings on top and very soft inside (surprised at that). Makes a HUGE loaf.