Breaded Fish Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 4 halibut or cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon grated onion, optional
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Coat fillets with bread crumb mixture.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill halibut, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Grill buns, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the lettuce, carrots and onion if desired; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; spread over bun bottoms. Top with halibut and vegetable mixture; replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 337 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Feb 8, 2014
If you are having trouble getting your breading to stick to the fish; place it in the freezer for 20 min and then right to the grill. It works just the same for fried fish or fried chicken. As others suggested, it needs salt and the seasoned bread crumbs should do the trick.
Nov 16, 2011
Loved it!!! Added less lemon juice and no lemon peel. My boyfriend is in love with this dish and can't believe it's healthy
Aug 26, 2011
I used seasoned bread crumbs and it turned out great.
Aug 26, 2011
This sounds an awful lot like the Rachel Ray recipe that I use alot...which is good
Nov 27, 2010
The breading on these sandwiches really needs salt. Otherwise it is quite bland. I also couldn't get the breading to stick without dipping the fish in beaten egg first. I'd try them again, but with salt.
Aug 26, 2010
This was very tasty, but needs salt.. It stayed together on the grill as well, which was a concern of mine w/grilling fish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.