Grilled Sub Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli pastrami
- 1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Additional olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss green pepper and onion with oil. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- Cut loaf in half horizontally; remove bread from top half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of loaf with salad dressing; place cut side down on grill. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place bottom of loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Layer with turkey, two Swiss cheese slices, ham, cheddar cheese, pastrami and remaining Swiss cheese. Top with green pepper mixture, pickles and tomato.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over cut side of bread top; place over filling. Brush bread with additional oil. Fold foil around sandwich and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices with a serrated knife.
Oct 31, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
Yum!!!!! Next time I will spritz the foil with some cooking spray or oil before I build the sandwich on it because mine was a little stuck to the foil!!! Not very difficult and super delicious!!!
Aug 22, 2013
I use whatever cheese and meat and dressing I have on hand and these always turn out great! Thanks so much for submitting!
Aug 18, 2013
Quite a few steps for a sandwich but worth it. Used pepper jack instead of swiss and salami instead of pastrami.
Feb 23, 2010
We have made this a few times and love it.
Jun 22, 2008
In the words of the TV character "Higgins" O. M. G!
Jun 12, 2008
Looks like a very good sandwich with variation.